* Hey, the Bucs scored seven times in the eighth and ninth to take the Red Sox into extra innings, but came up a safety short in a 15-14 loss.
Gorzo had another rough start, giving up four earned runs in two innings, along with two homers, a walk, and a beaned batter. His ERA is an unsightly 7.50 so far this spring. Chris Bootcheck, Brian Slocum, and Juan Mateo, who took the loss, all gave up three spots. The BoSox had eight extra-base knocks, including four homers.
The Pirates pounded out 16 hits, nine for extra bases, and drew nine walks. They were led by Jose Tabata, who went 3-for-3 with two doubles and 4 RBI. Garrett Jones and Robinzon Diaz each had a pair of doubles, and Neil Walker and Nyjer Morgan added a pair of hits. Morgan had a tough day on the bases, getting caught stealing and picked off.
Pittsburgh left twelve runners on base.
The 8-4 Pirates have their first off-day of the spring tomorrow, and there's no practice scheduled, so the boys can play in the sun. The Bucs return to action to face Toronto on the road Wednesday afternoon.
* Brandon Moss' thumb is bruised and sprained, but an MRI confirmed that there's no ligament damage. Whether he'll be ready to go when the season starts is still up in the air.
* The Pirates announced their first cuts of camp today. RHP Romulo Sanchez was optioned to Indy, while LHP Daniel Haigwood, SS Pedro Lopez and C Miguel Perez were sent to the minor league camp for assignment.
* Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports has an article on Ian Snell and his Puerto Rico ties. His stepdad, Juan Davila, is a native of Yabucoa, and his better half, Angelica nee Oquendo, is a native of Ponce. "My heart and soul is in Puerto Rico," Snell says. So's his arm, at least for the duration of the WBC.
* Jen Langosch of MLB.com has an article on former Twin Garrett Jones, trying to earn a spot on the Bucco roster as a 1B-OF stick.
* Dejan Kovacevic of the Post Gazette did a piece on the slimmed down - well, as slimmed down as you can be at 240 pounds - Matt Capps and how his fastball is coming back to life.
* Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune Review writes how the pressure is off of Andy LaRoche now that he's quit trying to impress and just being himself.
* John Perrotto of the Pirate Report takes a look at the shortstop depth in the Pirate system, a pretty timely topic as Jack Splat's Pirate career winds down.
* Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors offers his "Pirates Offseason In Review" op piece.
* Jesse Specter of the New York Daily News has a chat with Sean Forman, founder of the absolutely essential hardball wonk's site, Baseball Reference, covering its beginnings and how he plans to spiff it up in the future.