The lineup: Jose Tabata LF, Xavier Paul RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Neil Walker 2B, Garrett Jones 1B, Josh Harrison 3B, Ronny Cedeno SS, Dusty Brown C, James McDonald P.
Clint Hurdle likes to get everybody in on get-away day. Jones, in a move we thought was long overdue, gets a shot at first base while Harrison is back in the lineup and on the hot corner. Brown will spell Mike McKenry behind the dish this afternoon.
- Andrew McCutchen has a 14-game hitting streak. During that span, he's hit .475 with six doubles, a homer and 11 RBIs. It's the longest active streak in MLB.
- Joe Beimel had mixed results throwing off a mound for the first time since he was DL'ed. His arm felt fine, but after 10 pitches, his velocity disappeared. Now he'll work on regaining his arm strength.
- Chris Snyder and his family were subjected to a disturbing road rage incident. A good Samaritan and off-duty cop had to come to their rescue after they were attacked by an unlicensed scooter driver, according to Sadie Gurman of the Post-Gazette.
- Host John Seibel of The Fan 93.7 vowed that he'd wash the team's jock straps if the Buccos reached 34-34. The win over the Astros pushed their record to 34-33, guaranteeing Seibel laundry duty, lol.
- Jim Callis of Baseball America, when asked who Pittsburgh's top prospect is, said that he "would take Jameson Taillon (No. 2 in 2010) over Gerrit Cole (No. 1 this year), though it easily could be reversed."
- LHP Tom Gorzelanny is back from the DL for the Washington Nats. He's posted a 2-4 slate with a 4.25 ERA and 58 strikeouts in 53 innings.
- Freddy Sanchez is out for at least six weeks with a dislocated shoulder.