The lineup: Jose Tabata LF, Josh Harrison 3B, Andrew McCutchen CF, Neil Walker 2B, Matt Diaz RF, Chris Snyder C, Lyle Overbay 1B, Ronny Cedeno SS, Paul Maholm P.
Well, even though it's as hot as McCutch's stick out, Clint Hurdle is done resting people; this is his normal whack-a-lefty scorecard.
- Dejan Kovacevic has crossed the Clemente Bridge for the last time; he left the P-G to become a Tribune Review columnist. Good luck at the new gig, DK.
- Former Pirate infielder Jose Pagan, who doubled in the winning run in Game 7 of the 1971 World Series, died yesterday at age 76.
- Pitt catcher Kevan Smith, from Seneca Valley HS, was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the seventh round.
- Pitt pitcher Ray Black, from Wilkes-Barre, was drafted in the seventh round by the San Francisco Giants.
- Connellsville HS John Leonard, a shortstop, was drafted in the ninth-round by the Arizona Diamondbacks. Leonard is a North Carolina State recruit.
- Seton-LaSalle HS pitcher Derek Law, now at Miami Dade Community College South, was drafted in the ninth-round by the San Francisco Giants.
- Penn State third baseman Jordan Steranka of Mt. Lebanon HS was drafted in the 30th-round by the Houston Astros.