- McCutch got into the All-Star game; nothing was hit to him and he tapped back to the box on a check swing. Hanny played, too, and got a K and gave up a single in 1/3 inning of work. Kevin Correia made the team, but didn't make it between the white lines.
- LHP Joe Biemel worked back-to-back nights for Altoona; OF Jose Tabata and 1B Steve Pearce are both beginning stints at Bradenton. Just a reminder that the tidal wave of guys on the DL will soon be reversing its flow.
- Indy's 1B Matt Hague went 0-for-1 with a run and a walk during the International League All-Star game. And he become the voice of minor league baseball during the telecast as Hague wore a microphone for the MLB Network.
- Altoona's 2B Brock Holt was named the MVP of the Eastern League All-Star game last night, replacing last year's trophy winner, SS Chase d'Arnaud. He hit a 2-run homer to start the scoring in an 8-3 Western Division win. Starling Marte started in CF and went 0-for-2 with a strikeout. He can be forgiven; he had to fly in from Phoenix where he played in the MLB Futures Game, going 1-for-3 there with a web gem catch. LHP Jeff Locke pitched a scoreless inning while RHP Aaron Pribinac pitched 2/3 of an inning and picked up the win in relief, although he allowed a pair of inherited runners to score.
- So far so good with RHP Jameson Taillon. He's number 15 on Frankie Piliere's Scouting Baseball Mid-Season Top Twenty Prospect List.His report says "He’s a ways off but the Pirates have a front end starter in their future."
- The Pirates officially announced the signing of fourth round pick Texan RHP Colten Brewer, who signed for a $240K deal, right about at slot. They also inked eighth round pick North Carlina RHP Jason Creasy. Both are high school player, just the way the Bucs like 'em.
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Catching Up On The News...
Seems like a long time since the Buccos played, but they're just about ready to get back on the bike. They're back in action tomorrow night against the 'Stros. Here's what's happened during the All-Star break: