The lineup: Xavier Paul LF, Garrett Jones RF, Neil Walker 2B, Andrew McCutchen CF, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Lyle Overbay 1B, Ronny Cedeno SS, Mike McKenry C, Jeff Karstens P.
Hey, the same lineup two days in a row!
- Andrew McCutchen is one of just five players in the majors so far this season to knock in 60 runs and steal at least 15 bases.
- James McDonald is 7-4 this year, and the Bucs have won seven of the last eight games he's started. Even with all that success, J-Mac has yet to get through the seventh inning of a game in 2011.
- Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com has this synopsis of what the Bucs are being asked to give up for a deadline deal: "...don't look for the Pirates to blow apart everything they've built just for this run, meaning a guy like Jameson Taillon is off the table. They have heard from teams about other arms like Brad Lincoln, Jeff Locke, Bryan Morris and Justin Wilson. Any conversations about hitters likely start with Futures Gamer Starling Marte, but also include infielders Matt Hague and Jordy Mercer."
- There's a whole bunch of media noise lately about the Bucs being in on BJ Upton. Dunno if his bat or personality are fits, but if he's in the OF with McCutch, Tabata or Presley, we pity the fool fly ball...
- Jason Giambi injured his quad running out a ball last night; that should take him off the Bucco wish list. Pittsburgh hasn't had much luck with quad-challenged players so far this season.
- Troy Renck of the Denver Post said the Bucs have "cooled" on Chris Iannetti. We never thought he was a real good option to begin with, so it apparently was a case of sending up a trial balloon by the FO.
- Matthew Leach of MLB.com has an article on the NL Central, focusing on what difference a deadline deal could make to any of the four teams in the race.
- Ever wonder about the slow progress some of the Bucco draftees seem to be making? Well, it's just part and parcel of leaning heavily on high school lottery selections. Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects has a post on the expected minor league path of the puppies aptly titled "Young Prospects Require Patience."
- Kristy Robinson of Ohio Valley Athletics reminded us that three years ago today "...the Pirates acquired Karstens, D. McCutchen, Ohlendorf & Tabata from NYY for Nady & Marte in a steal of a deal."