The lineup: Xavier Paul LF, Garrett Jones RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Neil Walker 2B, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Lyle Overbay 1B, Brandon Wood SS, Eric Fryer C, Jeff Karstens P.
No Derrek Lee; he'll report tomorrow in Pittsburgh. Wood is at short; we still can't figure out why Clint Hurdle hates on Pedro Ciriaco. You'd think he and Paul would form a better leadoff pair than Paul and Garrett Jones, and he plays the field much better than Wood, too.
- Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune Review reports that there's a closed door team meeting being held pre-game. He suggests that it might be a precursor to more deals, although it could just be a status report.
- Pittsburgh has never won a series at Citizens Bank Park.
- Since Derrek Lee doesn't count on the roster until tomorrow, the Bucs have two likely paths to clearing a spot for him - either DFA Lyle Overbay or option Pedro Ciriaco back to Indy.
- Matthew Pouliot of Hardball Talk has the general consensus regarding the Derrek Lee deal: "...the odds are good that Lee will be an upgrade over Lyle Overbay in Pittsburgh. Since the price was right, it's a nice pickup for the Pirates."
- Evan Meek is still rehabbing in Pirate City; he hasn't been given the OK to begin his minor league rehab yet. He and Jose Tabata are both targeted to return in mid-to-late August.
- The Pirates are still reported to be looking for bullpen arms. Not sure why unless they're planning on moving some bodies today as the pen has been strong, and Ohlie is on schedule to return in probably 7-to-10 days. We'd hate to decide who to ship out.