The lineup: Andrew McCutchen CF, Matt Diaz RF, Neil Walker 2B, Ryan Ludwick LF, Steve Pearce 1B, Brandon Wood 3B, Ronny Cedeno SS, Mike McKenry C, Paul Maholm P.
Derrek Lee is still out with a bruised hand, while Pedro and Dewey are sitting against the lefty.
- The beat gang reported that late this afternoon the Pirates optioned Tony Watson to Indy and recalled Brad Lincoln.
- Pittsburgh pitchers have surrendered 15 home runs in the last four games, and the long ball has accounted for 22 of the 33 runs scored against the Pirates in that span.
- McCutch enters tonight 2 hits shy of 400 in his career. Since his ML debut on 6/4/09, he is 7th among all NL players in total hits.
- The Pirates have not won a series against the Padres in Pittsburgh since 2001, going 9-23 against San Diego at PNC.
- The Pirates are 41-29 when they get 6+ innings from their starters and 13-28 when they don't.
- OF'er John Bowker was named Player of the Month at Indy for July. Bowker hit .316 with eight doubles, seven home runs and 20 RBIs in 27 July games.
- Kristy Robinson of Ohio Valley Athletics tweeted to remind us that this is the anniversary of Roberto Clemente's induction into the Hall of Fame, when he become the first Latino player to earn the honor.