The lineup: Alex Presley LF, Jose Tabata RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Neil Walker 2B, Casey McGehee 1B, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Clint Barmes SS, Mike McKenry C, James McDonald P.
No big surprises. This is Hurdle's usual lineup against righties, with McKenry getting the night-day start behind the dish and the hot McGehee getting the nod at first; we expect Garrett Jones to get the game two start.
- Jared Hughes was the extra player called up for today's game. Under the new CBA, doubleheaders allow for 26 men on the roster to ease the pitching burden.
- Alex Presley extended his career-high hitting streak to eight games last night, the fourth longest current string. He has hit safely in 13 of his 14 starts this season.
- James McDonald led the Pirates in starts (31) and strikeouts (142) last year.
- The Bucs have won four of their last six games.
- In 12 of their first 16 games, either the Pirates or their opponent have scored in the first inning.
- The Rockies brought up RHP reliever Zach Putnam from AAA Colorado Springs as their extra player for today.
- You can return home again: Hurdle was the Rox old skipper (2002-09), while Jim Tracy was the Bucs' field boss once upon a time (2006-07).
- LHP Jeff Locke won his second straight game for Indy, going six innings and allowing a run on three hits and two walks with 6 K. He is 2-3/3.86 on the year.
- RHP Jameson Taillon pitched for High A Bradenton last night. He went five scoreless innings, giving up two hits and a walk while striking out six. He has a 1.93 ERA on the season with 24 K in 18-2/3 innings.
- RHP Aaron Pribanic (right shoulder) and INF Jarek Cunningham (left wrist), were placed on the DL for AA Altoona.