The Lineup: Alex Presley LF, Jose Tabata RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Casey McGehee 1B, Neil Walker 2B, Yamaico Navarro SS, Rod Barajas C, Clint Barmes SS, Kevin Correia P.
Navarro gets the nod at third with Garrett Jones and Pedro Alvarez getting a blow against the lefty Moyer. This is the situation where we liked having Matt Hague around; he and McGehee could have manned the corner instead of plugging another middle infielder's bat into the lineup.
- Alex Presley will carry a seven game hitting streak into tonight's game, the longest of his career.
- The Rockies have 14 stolen bases in 14 games; the Pirates have 10 in 15 games.
- Jamie Moyer made his first start against the Pirates on 8/11/86 at Wrigley Field, losing to Rick Rhoden. Moyer’s first start in Pittsburgh was a 7-0 loss to Rick Reuschel at Three Rivers Stadium on 6/27/87.
- The Pirates have retired the side in order in the first inning just once this year, turned by tonight's starter Kevin Correia against San Francisco on 4/15 .
- Jim Callis from Baseball America was asked about Pedro Alvarez in his recent "Ask BA" column. He started his answer with "I thought Alvarez was the best player in the 2008 draft, but he certainly hasn't played like it." and ended it with "...you could argue that he's the biggest waste of hitting talent in draft history." Ouch!
- The Mets put Jason Bay on the 15-day DL with a broken rib.