The lineup: Alex Presley LF, Neil Walker, 2B, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones DH, casey McGehee 1B, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Jose Tabata RF, Rod Barajas C, Clint Barmes SS.
If Clint Hurdle isn't going to use Jordy Mercer, he might as well send him back to Indy so he can get a couple of at-bats. We're not quite as in love with Clint Barmes as the skipper is.
- Dejan Kovacevic of the Tribune Review reported that Charlie Morton has a torn ligament in his elbow and is likely to need Tommy John surgery. If if he doesn't require the knife, it sounds like he's done for the season.
- Inside Pittsburgh Sport's John Perrotto said the Pirates are looking seriously at Chase Headley and also Brian LaHair.
- RHP Daniel McCutchen will begin his rehab stint at Bradenton tonight.
- Texas Tech CF Barrett Barnes, the Bucs sandwich pick in this year's draft, agreed to a $1M bonus and will sign his contract tomorrow, according to reports. The slot figure was $1,136,400.
- Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated likes the Pirates arms - "Solid Pitching Makes Bucs Contenders - Yes, Really!"
- In ESPN's Triple Play blog, the chances of the Bucs are discussed briefly by a trio of national blogboys.
- Bradenton moved some players up to Altoona and took in a couple from West Virginia. The guys moving up look to be providing depth rather than chugging along on the fast track.
- Ol' buddy Brandon Moss has been on a streak for the As. Now playing first base, he has five hits for Oakland - and four have gone yard!
- Matt Cain tossed the first perfect game in Giant history last night, knocking off the Astros 10-0 at AT&T Park. He struck out 14, and watched his outfield make a pair of great plays to get into the books.