- The last time the Pirates took a four game sweep was May 29th - June 1st 2006 against the Milwaukee Brewers at PNC Park. The Pirates haven't broomed the
Astros in a four-game series since July 1979.
- If the Bucs score at least 4 runs tonight, it will be the first time they've done it in 10 games straight since September 2003
- Cliff Corcoran of Sports Illustrated has Cutch on his short list of NL-MVP candidates.
- John Heyman of CBS Sports still has the Pirates showing interest in Chase Headley. His bat would certainly play, especially escaping Petco, but he's a third baseman and hasn't played anywhere else in the past three years. That makes him a tough piece to fit into the lineup with Pedro looking like he may have figured it out. He did play a lot of outfield in 2008-09, though not very well. He's only played first twice in his big-league career.
- Jon Morosi of Fox Sports doesn't think Pittsburgh should have Kevin Correia on the block. We think with the trio of lefties at Indy and his contract winding down that Morosi is probably mistaken.
- And don't forget about those Indy Indians: The Tribe is off to its best start since 1988, having won 32 of its last 45 games, and is in first place by 12 games. The team has three players headed to Buffalo for the AAA Minor League All-Star game July 11th: CF Starling Marte, SS Jordy Mercer and LHP Rudy Owens.
- Sad but expected: Freddy Sanchez had surgery today in Los Angeles, performed by Dr Robert Watkins who partially removed a disc in his lower back. He is out for the season, and this could be a career killer for Steady Freddy.
- David Freese of the Cards won the final All-Star spot. With Chipper Jones just being named to the team, that's a lot of hot corner guys.
Thursday, July 5, 2012
Rumors, Stats & Stuff
Rumors, stats, and random stuff: