The lineup: Jose Tabata LF, Travis Snider RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones 1B, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Josh Harrison 2B, Rod Barajas C, Clint Barmes SS, Wandy Rodriguez P.
Neil Walker ends up missing the series, with J-Hay taking his spot. The only other change is the battery, with Hot Rod catching Wandy.
Tonight's not a must win game, but sho'nuff a biggie nevertheless. For the Cards, it's another game down in a road trip that started at Cincy,came here, and concludes at Washington.
- Pedro Alvarez has five multi-homer games, tying him with Richie Hebner & Aramis Ramirez for the most in team history by a third baseman, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
- The Pirates confirmed that the other starters will pitch on their regular day after Erik Bedard's release. Jeff Karstens, AJ Burnett and James McDonald will go against the Brewers this weekend. Because of tomorrow's off day, the Bucs can wait to fill Bedard's spot until September, when the expanded roster allows them some options.
- Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs goes in-depth about Erik Bedard.
- After tonight, Pittsburgh and St. Louis will have 32 games left. Nine of the Buc games are against winning teams, with a home-and-home series with the Reds and a home set with Atlanta. the remaining games are against Houston, the Cubs, Milwaukee and the Mets. The Red Birds play 14 games against winning clubs with a home series against Cincinnati, a home-and-home series against Washington and a four gamer in LA. Their other 18 games are against the Cubs, Astros, Mets and Padres.
- A couple of recently promoted guys are making their moves count at Indy. RHP Phil Irwin tossed six scoreless frames, giving up three hits and a pair of walks with seven whiffs. Infielder Brock Holt went 3-for-4 to bring his AAA average up to .417.
- The Pirates are sending OF Adalberto Santos (Altoona), INF Gift Ngoepe (WV), INF Matt Curry (Altoona), RHP Brandon Cumpton (Altoona) and RHP Tyler Waldron (Altoona) to the Arizona Fall league, with a couple more prospects due later.
- The GCL Pirates won the rookie league's championship today against the GCL Red Sox 5-2, backed by good pitching and Luis Urena's three-run HR. Congrats.