The lineup: Starling Marte LF, Travis Snider RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones 1B, Mike McKenry C, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Clints Barmes SS, Jordy Mercer 2B, James McDonald P.
No Neil Walker; it'll be a big deal if he can return for this series.
This series marks the first time since 1992 that the Pirates play in St. Louis after the All-Star break with a winning record. This set is the Buccos final visit to Busch Stadium this season, where they are 4-5. The Red Birds lost 2-1 last night, giving up a pair of homers to Arizona in the ninth. It was the Cards 20th one-run loss this season, so keepin' it close is key against them. Another stat to keep in mind is that StL leads the NL in runs scored.
- Cutch's 24 home runs are the most by a Pirates right-handed batter since Jason Bay hit 35 in 2006.
- Pirate pitching has given up 5+ runs in ten straight games.The franchise record is 13, set in 2000.
- Beginning tonight all but ten of Pittsburgh’s 44 remaining games will be played against teams
from the NL Central.
- Matt Eddy of Baseball America had this to say about Indy RHP Kyle McPherson: "McPherson is a legit rotation candidate — or maybe a reliever — but his fastball and change grade out as major league pitches, and his control allows his stuff to play up."
- RHP Gerritt Cole is the top dog in this week's BA Prospect Hot List. The writers believe that he's just a "little more than half a season away from Pittsburgh in 2013."
- RHP Jameson Taillon has been promoted to Altoona and will make his debut Tuesday. His record with High A Bradenton was 6-8/3.82 ERA in 23 starts with 98 Ks in 125 innings of work.