Marquis turns 34 today; we hope he doesn't celebrate against the Pirates. He's a sinker ball guy who gets a lot of balls pounded into the dirt when he's on, but gives up the long ball when he's not. Marquis threw a complete-game, two-hit shutout against the Pirates on August 11th at PNC Park and is 5-2 over his last seven starts . The game starts at 10:05 and will be aired by Root Sports.
The lineup: Jose Tabata LF, Travis Snider RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Neil Walker 2B, Garrett Jones 1B, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Clint Barmes SS, Rod Barajas C, AJ Burnett P.
All lefties are locked and loaded against Marquis tonight.
- AJ is going for win #16. The last time a Pirate topped 15 victories was in 1991 when Zane Smith went 16-10; John Smiley went 20-10 that season, too.
- Here's how the rotation looks now: Burnett and James McDonald will toss against the Padres, Thursday is a travel day, then Wandy Rodriguez, Jeff Karstens and Erik Bedard take the bump against the Brew Crew for the weekend series at PNC.
- Well, that was quick. The Pirates have recalled RHP Daniel McCutchen from Indy and have reinstated RHP Chad Qualls from the Bereavement List.To make room, they optioned RHP Kyle McPherson and LHP Justin Wilson back to Triple-A Indy.
- Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune Review reports that it’s unlikely the Pirates will keep RHP Juan Cruz in the organization if he clears waivers. “At this point, we’ve got some young guys who have passed him,” Clint Hurdle said. We think maybe Clint could have kept that under his hat until the FO tried to deal him, but hey...
- An odd ball stat: Jeff Karstens and Mike McKenry were the starting battery in the Bucs' 19 inning games against Atlanta and St. Louis. The Fort caught every frame of both games.
- West Virginia Power IF Eric Avila was named the Sally League Player of the Week. He batted .423 over seven games with four HR and nine RBI.
- Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects asks the $64M question - If you develop prospects, why don't you use them?