The only thing that may cool off the Reds is Mother Nature; Cincy, like Pittsburgh, is expecting rain storms off and on today. Clint Hurdle has already adjusted the rotation to give guys an extra day of rest, so a rainout could make make him readjust his readjustments. This is the last game of a 10-game road trip. The Pirates are home for an 11 game homestand against the NL West beginning tomorrow.
The Lineup: Starling Marte LF, Josh Harrison 3B, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones RF, Neil Walker 2B, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Rod Barajas C, Clint Barmes SS, AJ Burnett P.
Hot Rod is behind the dish, as always with AJ, and Marte is back in the lineup along with Sanchez.Travis Snider is off, too. We're a little surprised that match-up maven Clint Hurdle is leaving his lefty bats on the bench.
- Mike McKenry has a seven-game hitting streak, and should be picking up some more lineup love from Clint - just not when AJ is pitching. Burnett and Hot Rod Barajas are the peanut butter and jelly of the Buccos.
- A hidden stat for AJ - he gave up a homer every 6 innings last year; now it's down to o long ball every 11 frames.
- The Bucs haven't lost three games in a row since June 24-26th.
- Just a reminder why Josh Harrison is amped when he plays at Great American: he's a 2006 graduate of Princeton High School located about 20 minutes north of town, and also played three seasons at the University of Cincinnati. Who sez you can never go back home?
- Jose Tabata has a seven game hitting streak at Indy, batting .519 in that span. He's been pretty much been a punch-and-judy batter, but has shown a better eye with an overall .377 OBP.
- Bradenton's Jameson Taillon tossed five scoreless frames last night, giving up two hits, walking none and whiffing four.
- The X-Man, Xavier Nady, has agreed to a minor league deal with the Giants.
- This day in history: In 1970, second baseman Bill Mazeroski set a modern-era NL record for putouts at his position with the 4,781st of his career in the Pirates 4-0 win over the Phillies at TRS. Maz ended his career with 4,974 putouts and has since been surpassed on the leaderboard by Joe Morgan.