The lineup: Starling Marte LF, Neil Walker 2B, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones RF, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Clint Barmes SS, Rod Barajas C, Jeff Locke P.
Hot Rod is starting again. Sanchez is starting at first against a righty with Jones in right; we're not sure if Alex Presley still has a sore foot or is just sitting.
The Bucs are two games behind St. Louis and the Dodgers in the wildcard hunt. Since they play one another, the Pirates need a win today to stay two behind.
- Manager Clint Hurdle announced today that RHP Kyle McPherson will start Wednesday night and James McDonald will go to the bullpen starting Tuesday. Pittsburgh, even with a full house of starting pitching, will still stick to a five man rotation.
- The last time the Bucs were victorious on consecutive days during a road trip was against the Cubs at Wrigley Field on July 31st and August 1st.
- Pittsburgh starting pitchers are 56-55 this year. The last time the starting staff won as many as 56 games was 1999 (57-63) and the last winning campaign for Pittsburgh’s starters came in
- Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune Review reports that a source told him that the Pirates broke off talks about re-upping with short-season A State College. The Bucs could sign with Jamestown or Batavia.
- This day in history: In 1975, the Pirates beat the Cubs, 22-0, at Wrigley Field as Rennie Stennett set a MLB record by going 7-for-7.