The lineup: Starling Marte LF, Travis Snider RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones 1B, Neil Walker 2B, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Clint Barmes SS, Rod Barajas C, Wandy Rodriguez P.
The Kid is back in and Snider is starting back-to-back games for the first time since early September.
- Dave Schoenfield of "The Sweet Spot": "I think the Pirates are done. Great story. We rooted for them."
- Jon Heyman on CBS Sport's "Baseball Insider" writes "Manager Clint Hurdle, who's established a positive mindset, is safe. But there have been some rumblings that GM Neal Huntington could be in trouble."
- The Pirates are 7-20 after their 19 inning endurance test against St. Louis, the same record they ran up after 2011's 19 inning match at Atlanta. As Yogi would say, it's deja vu all over again.
- Hudson Belinsky's has a story on West Virginia prospects Alen Hanson & Gregory Polanco for Baseball Prospectus. It's for subscribers, so you get all of Hansen and a line on Polanco.
- More don't cry over spilt milk news: after the Brewers traded Zack Greinke to the Angels in a move widely interpreted as waving the white flag, they went on a 32-18 tear. And Jean Segura, the key player in the return package, has taken over as their starting SS. So if you're still obsessing over deadline deals made and not made, let it go.