- Waiting on Jason Grilli's decision. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports tweeted that the Bucs, Jays and the Cubs are the finalists. Several earlier reports said he would take the Bucco offer unless somebody came up with three years. Apparently they didn't, but someone did jack up the ante, so his agent Gary Sheffield is working a silent auction for his services.
- The Bucs sent RHP Kyle Kaminska to Boston as the PTBNL in the RHP Zach Stewart deal. Kinda makes that traded draft pick look a bit wasted, hey?
- The FO passed on the MLB Rule 5 draft for the first time since 2004, and took a guy/lost a guy in the minor league portion. The Pirates claimed RHP Ethan Hollingsworth, 25, from the Kansas City Royals. His stat line suggests he's penciled in as AA depth. They gave away 3B Elevys Gonzalez, 23, a good glove player who took a beating trying to hit AA pitching last year.
- Jay Bay signed a deal with the Mariners for a year, and reportedly for under $1M (with $2M worth of incentives) in an effort to jump start his injury-cursed career. Don't feel too sorry for him, though - the Mets released him after working out a payment plan for the $21M remaining on his NY contract, so he's not doomed to a life of Hamburger Helper.
- The Rangers signed Evan Meek to a minor league deal with an invite to camp.
- "Kevin Correia is mulling multiple multi-year offers, including one from Japan" per Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Various reports have at least the Rox and Royals looking him over.
Thursday, December 6, 2012
Meetings Close Out Quietly For Pirates
The meetings have been pretty quiet for the Buccos. As the GMs scurried to their planes, the final day has so far included: