- ZIPS projections are out. Dan Szymborski released them at Fangraph's this year, and they don't look all that promising. The big four from last year: He has Cutch at .283/.369/.480 (Bill James - .286/.372/.483); Neil Walker at .270/.328/.430 (James - .275/.337/.435); and Garrett Jones at .253/.309/.446 (James - .254/.315/.454), so they agree that the trio are going to regress to their norms (which the steady Walker meets every season). The only disagreement is on Pedro - Szymborski has him at .236/.313/.451, while James sees steady improvement at .257/.336/.481. Don't ask about the pitching...yet.
- The Pirates, Angels, Diamondbacks, Orioles, Mariners, and Padres are all believed to be vying for Rick Porcello. Detroit is looking for a shortstop, late-inning reliever, or right-handed hitting outfielder in exchange for the right-hander, according to Nathan Aderhold of the Daily Dish.
- Cutch gets some MLB Network love.
- John Perrotto in Baseball America picked his Bucco Top Ten Prospects, along with the Best Tools in the Organization and 2016 lineup.
- Kiley McDaniel in his "Report From the Instructs" Fangraph feature gives a scout's view on pitchers Nick Kingham, Clay Holmes and Vic Black. He likes Kingham.
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
ZIPS, Bill James, BA Top Ten and Notes
ZIPping around the news: