Lineup: Starling Marte CF, Jose Tabata LF, Neil Walker 2B, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Brandon Inge DH, Jerry Sands RF, Mike McKenry C and Clint Barmes SS.
Cutch is off, Garrett Jones is off and Russell Martin is off. Jones and Martin have minor aches and could be ready for action this weekend. Gaby Sanchez is back in his more familiar first base home and Pedro is at cleanup, where Clint Hurdle hopes to keep him permanently.
Pitchers: Kyle McPherson, Mike Zagurski, Kris Johnson and Bryan Morris.
McPherson's peripherals are strong, but his ERA isa fairly misleading 7.71, and he has three walks and just two whiffs in 4-2/3 IP, so it's about time for him to step up his production.
- If you like to follow the Bucs via Twitter, Garrett Jones has joined the club: @Garrett_GIJones
- Jason Grilli escaped a bases-loaded jam in the bottom half of the ninth as Italy beat Mexico 6-5 in a WBC shocker. Team Italia will face Canada, with Chris Leroux on the bump, this afternoon.
- John Perrotto of the Beaver County Times talked to Ivan DeJesus, who is eying the shortstop job down the line.
- Bill Brink of the Post Gazette has an article on the non-roster guys trying to break camp with the Bucs this year.
- Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects has a feature of a player who may be under the fan's radar, but is certainly on the screen of the scouts and FO, RHP Phil Irwin.
- Today in Bucco History: In 1966, the Hall of Fame Special Veterans Committee elected Casey Stengel to the Hall. He broke his hip in 1965, ending his managerial career, and the Committee waived his waiting period to make him immediately eligible for Cooperstown (the electors needn't had worried - he lasted another decade, living to the ripe old age of 85). He was inducted July 25th. The Ol’ Perfessor was a Pirate outfielder from 1918-19; his famous "sparrow under the hat" episode was done as a Bucco.