Lineup: Starling Marte LF, Felix Pie CF, Gaby Sanchez, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Mike McKenry C, Garrett Jones RF, Jordy Mercer 2B, John McDonald SS and Jonathan Sanchez P.
Gaby is batting third while Garrett Jones is n right field, both for the first time this spring..
Pitchers: Jonathan Sanchez and ?
Welcome to the rotation, Jonathan.
- Tom Singer of MLB.com posts that Jonathan Sanchez and Brandon Inge have both made the club, although Inge is likely to be placed on the DL. We understand the move with Sanchez, but we're not so sure why Inge is on the roster. At least he's not blocking anyone while on the disabled list. The Pirates have until Sunday to officially add them to the 40-man roster.
- The starting pitching should clear up today, and the roster set by tomorrow when camp breaks. The FO wants to leave Florida with just the 25 players on the active roster.
- Fox Sports has its 2013 Bucco Preview on the web.
- The Bucs break camp after Thursday's game against the Yankees, take Friday off and play an exhibition at Altoona on Saturday. Then it's showtime Monday.
- The Marlins have agreed to a minor league deal with OF Matt Diaz, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Lyle Overbay, however, was cut by the Red Sox.
- Michael Love of the Tribune Review has a piece on RHP Scott McGough, a Plum Hi pitcher now in the Miami system. The Bucs thought enough of him out of high school to spend a draft pick for him in 2008, but he choose college (Oregon) instead.
- March 26, 1940 - After being released by the Pirates‚ Chuck Klein signed up for his third go-around with the Phils. Klein was a Hall-of-Fame OF who hit 300 homers, helped greatly by the Philadelphia Baker Bowl’s short porch. He played 85 games for Pittsburgh, hitting .300 with 11 HR, but was released at age 34 and became a bench player for Philly through the war years.