Pirates lineup: Starling Marte LF, Neil Walker 2B, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones 1B, Russell Martin C, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Travis Snider RF, Clint Barmes SS and Jeff Locke P.
Quite unlike Clint Hurdle to pass on fixing something that's not broke (at least this week). Now if he can only figure out a lefty lineup...
Reds lineup: Shin-Soo Choo CF, Zack Cozart SS, Joey Votto 1B, Todd Frazier 3B, Jay Bruce RF, Chris Heisey LF, Ryan Hanigan C, Cesar Izturis 2B and Johnny Cueto P.
Looks a little like the Reds' getaway day lineup. It's not often that a guy like Brandon Phillips who hit two homers the night before takes a seat.
- Phil Irwin has been announced as the Bucs spot starter Sunday for Wandy. It will be the 26 year old's first MLB appearance. The righty is 1-0 at Indy, giving up a run on four hits in a six inning start. Irwin is a finesse/control guy with a four pitch arsenal. His callup likely makes newbie Bryan Morris the yo-yo on the roster.
- RHP Tim Alderson was promoted to Indy to replace Irwin. Also, Kyle McPherson went on the DL, according to Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects. He started last season on the DL with shoulder soreness thought to be a case of dead arm, but the Bucs haven't released the reason for his designation yet. McPherson also had shoulder issues at the end of last year and was bombed in his last few appearances going back to camp, so he may have trying to work through a recurring injury. (EDIT - Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune Review tweets that he has "forearm tightness.")
- Jameson Taillon struck out ten in six frames last night for Aloona, setting a personal pro best. He gave up a pair of runs during his outing and took the L in a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Harrisburg.
- Why baseball fights are stupid: Zack Grienke is out for eight weeks with a broken collarbone after the recent LA-SD melee caused by a beaned batter and followed by some playground yapping by both parties.
- Kip Wells is still hangin' around. The Angels signed him to a minor league deal.
- The Bucs have all kinds of giveaways and stuff during the homestand; they're listed on this page. Tonight, for example, is fireworks night; yesterday, the club gave out AJ tees.