- 1909 - The Pirates won their fourth straight over the Cubs by beating Three-Finger Brown 1-0 in 11 innings at West Side Park behind a Dots Miller RBI and Babe Adams shutout. It was the second time in three weeks that the Pirates defeated the hard-luck Brown 1-0 in extra innings.
- 1913 - Pitcher Babe Adams was a one man wrecking crew at Redland Field. He threw a two hit shutout against Cincinnati and drove home the game's only run with the Pirates only hit, a triple. The 31 year old Adams was the team ace that year, winning 21 games with a 2.15 ERA.
- 1955 - After going hitless and making a ninth inning error, Roberto Clemente climbed the wall in right to take away extra bases from George Crowe with Braves at second and third to close out a 5-4 Pirate win over Milwaukee at Forbes Field. Dale Long and Gene Freese were the hitting heroes with a pair of RBI apiece while Bob Friend saved the game for Max Surkont.
- 1958 - At Seals Stadium‚ Roman Mejias hit three HRs in the nitecap of a DH with San Francisco to lead Pittsburgh to a 6-2 win and a split after losing the opener 4-3. Mejias hit two more homers the rest of the season.
- 1967 - The Bucs pounded the Dodgers by scoring seven runs in the seventh to take a 9-3 victory over LA at Forbes Field. They literally pounded Dodger ace Don Drysdale; Roberto Clemente ripped a liner off his hand and Donn Clendenon banged one so hard off his shin that it bounced to first for the putout. He had to leave, battered and bruised, after six, and the Bucs rallied for the win the next inning against relievers Dick Egan, Bob Miller and Ron Perranowski. Bill Mazeroski had three RBI while Clemente and Maury Wills collected three hits each to help Bob Veale earn the W.
- 1992 - The Bucs scored 11 runs in the sixth inning to whip the Reds 12-5 at TRS. Don Slaught, Jose Lind and Cecil Espy all had a pair of hits in the frame. Andy Van Slyke led the hit parade with four knocks; Jeff King added three.
Saturday, May 4, 2013
Bucco History 5/4
Babe Adams deals, Roman Mejias rocks, Roberto Clemente atones, the Bucs pound Drysdale and a big inning sinks the Reds...