It should be an interesting series. Both teams have struggled to score lately, and as a result the Pirates have lost 5-of-8 while the Mets have dropped 8-of-11. The game starts at 7:10 and is radio only on The Fan 93.7.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Travis Snider RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones 1B, Russell Martin C, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Brandon Inge 2B, Clint Barmes SS and Jeff Locke P.
Jordy Mercer has his first hitless game and sits; Russell Martin is back after missing a couple of days with neck spasms.
Met lineup: Ruben Tejada SS,Daniel Murphy 2B,David Wright 3B, John Buck C, Justin Turner 1B, Marlon Byrd RF, Andrew Brown LF, Juan Lagares CF and Dillon Gee P.
We were wondering where Marlon Byrd went!
- Miller Park is a house of horrors to be sure, but the Pirates are only 3-12 all-time at Citi Field, so it hasn't exactly been a fun house either. The Mets won 5-of-7 meetings between the clubs last season.
- How well did AJ pitch yesterday? Jesus Montero's solo homer was the only ball hit out of the infield against him; Burnett said it was the only fastball that he threw to a righty that ran back across the plate.
- Jeanmar Gomez will get the start Sunday. Jeanmar better have his A game; he's slotted to go against Matt Harvey.
- Neil Walker's stitches are out and he's going to Altoona for a couple of rehab games. He should be back in the lineup Sunday or Monday.
- MRI results show that James McDonald's shoulder is structurally sound but inflamed.
- According to Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune Review, RHP Kyle McPherson visited Dr. James Andrews on Monday. The pitcher received a platelet-rich plasma injection and the doc prescribed more rest before starting a rehab program. RHP Phil Irwin was diagnosed with ulnar neuritis (inflammation) in his right elbow and will remain on ice for awhile.