The veteran Buc righty leads the NL in whiffs, but could do a better job of carrying the game deeper before turning the ball over to the pen. Against the Nats, he's 7-3 with a 3.33 ERA in 15 career games. Detwiler had a bumpy ride against the Cards his last time out, but has been sharp most of the season, going 6-7 innings in his other four outings and giving up just five runs in 26 frames. In two lifetime starts against the Pirates, Detwiler is 0-1 with a 4.09 ERA.
The game starts at 7:05 and is radio only on The Fan 93.7.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Jordy Mercer 2B, Andrew Cutchen CF, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Russell Martin C, Brandon Inge RF, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Clint Barmes SS and AJ Burnett P.
Jordy Mercer is at second, and Mr. Handyman Brandon Inge is in right; Travis Snider has been having troubles with LHP and JT jammed his foot, so he's day-to-day.
Nat lineup: Denard Span CF, Ian Desmond SS, Bryce Harper LF, Ryan Zimmerman 3B, Adam LaRoche 1B, Tyler Moore RF, Danny Espinosa 2B, Kurt Suzuki C and Ross Detwiler P.
The Nationals are 4-7 in their last 11 games, and Bryce Harper has been their only consistent bat. Ryan Zimmerman rejoined Washington today. He had been on the DL with hammy issues since April 21st and his return to the lineup should juice up the attack.
- Jose Contreras was added to the active roster and Jared Hughes was sent down to Indy. Hughes had all three minor league options remaining and had been erratic this year, so he was one of the likely suspects when Jose got the call. Contreras will take Jonathan Sanchez's old spot on the 40-man roster.
- Jordy Mercer is on his way to Pittsburgh, and Neil Walker is going on the DL.
- Jason Grilli was named MLB’s Delivery Man of the Month for the month of April.The award is given to the top reliever; Grilled Cheese was 10-of-10 in saves with a 0.82 ERA.
- Brandon Inge has an eight game hitting streak while Garrett Jone's string ended at seven Wednesday against the Brewers. Starling Marte has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games.
- Deja vu all over again:
Jonathan Sanchez 2013: 5 games, 13-2/3 IP, 0-3, 11.85 ERA, 2.415 WHIP
Matt Morris 2008: 5 games, 22-1/3 IP, 0-4, 9.67 ERA, 2.149 WHIP
One big diff: Sanchez earned $1.375M, while Matty Mo took home $10,037,283 and a $1M buyout for 2009.
- RHP Phil Irwin worked four innings yesterday of one-hit ball with two walks and three K for Indy in his return after arm fatigue issues. It was his first game since April 8th. Craig Morton climbs the hill for the Tribe tonight.
- Draftniks are beginning their predictions. Conor Glassery of Baseball America wrote that Pittsburgh "has shown heavy interest in Moran (Colin Moran, LH 1B/3B from North Carolina), but if he’s already off the board there is a good group of college pitchers and high-upside high school position players that would fit well in the 9-14 range." The Pirates pick at #9 and #14 this year, when the draft will be held between June 6-8th.