Sanchez took a no-hitter into the ninth in his last outing. He's 2-3 against Pittsburgh with a 2.50 ERA, and averages better than a K per inning versus the Buccos. The game starts at 7:05 and will be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Neil Walker 2B, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones 1B, Russell Martin C, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Travis Snider RF, Jordy Mercer SS and AJ Burnett P.
Clint Barmes, in a 3-for-25 slump, is down tonight for Jordy Mercer.
Tiger lineup: Andy Dirks LF, Torii Hunter RF, Miguel Cabrera 3B, Prince Fielder 1B, Jhonny Peralta SS, Alex Avila C, Omar Infante 2B, Don Kelly CF and Anibal Sanchez P.
Last night's group will try again.
- Last night was Pittsburgh’s eighth shutout of the season. They only had 10 in all of 2012.
- Joined at the hip: Omar Infante and Travis Snider both hit leadoff Monday, eighth yesterday and seventh today.
- Eight of Pittsburgh’s last 11 games have been decided by one run. The Pirates are 6-2 in those games.
- A broken record, to be sure, but LHP Andy Oliver is getting wilder at Indy. Last night, he went 3-1/3 IP, giving up two runs on three hits with two K and six more walks. In his last five starts, he's gone 24-1/3 frames and issued free passes to 26 batters.
- John McDonald (lower back strain) has gone 0-for-7 in his first two rehab games at Indy.
- Jameson Taillon (3-5, 2.91) is on the hill for Altoona tonight.
- JJ Cooper of Baseball America has a list of prospects in a nose dive. The good news is that his Pirate nominee is in Low Class A West Virginia.