Rodriguez has been a dependable member of the rotation, going at least six innings in his four May starts, with a 3-1/2.88 line. But at Miller Park, he's just 3-8/6.46 in his career. Gallardo loves seeing the Bucs; he's 10-3/2.52 lifetime against them. The game begins at 2:10 and will be aired on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Neil Walker 2B, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones RF, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Michael McKenry C, Jordy Mercer SS and Wandy Rodriguez P.
Typical get-away day lineup.
Brewer lineup: Norichika Aoki RF, Jean Segura SS, Ryan Braun LF, Aramis Ramirez 3B, Jonathan Lucroy C, Carlos Gomez CF, Rickie Weeks 2B, Yuniesky Betancourt 1B and Yovani Gallardo P.
Same ol' against Wandy, except for Betancourt at first.
- The last time the Brew Crew won a series? It was unsurprisingly against Pittsburgh at the beginning of the month, six series ago.
- Jeff Locke is beginning to gain some recognition, at least in the nickname department. He's been called the Locke Ness Monster and Locke Down lately.
- Bob Brookover of the Philly Inquirer explains that the Phils passed on Jason Grilli because of the young arms they were developing; maybe now they see that there is something to be said about experience. One of them is in the Pirate system now, LHP Mike Zagurski.
- Not much talk of moving Pedro to first this year. For the first time, he's got a positive UZR (2.5) and is in line to have career highs in fielding % and plays made, both in and out of his zone. And it's not like the two-headed monster of Gaby & GI at first needs much help. In fact, their play, especially in digging out low/skipped throws, has helped the left side of the infield look good quite a few times this season.
- The degree of difficulty will pick up for the Bucs in their next ten games: four are against the Tigers, three against the Reds and three more against the Braves are on tap.
- After starting the season afire, Stolmy Pimentel's last four starts for Altoona have been disasters. Yesterday, he went 4-2/3 IP, giving up eight runs (four earned) on seven hits and three walks with three K.
- Jim Henderson, Brewer closer, has been placed on the DL. He sprained his hammy in an awkward stab at a line drive in Friday's 2-1 Milwaukee win.
- The draft is right around the corner, and the gurus seem to think Pittsburgh is looking at position guys this year. Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects has a rundown on some likely suspects.
- Pitt lost to Notre Dame 3-2 in 10 innings in the Big East semifinals. The Panthers are 42-17 and a long shot to receive an at-large bid to the NCAA tourney.