- 1927 - Continuing a feud that dated back to Pirate C Earl Smith's days with the Braves‚ Smith dropped Boston manager Dave Bancroft with a right to the kisser after they jawed in the seventh inning. Bancroft was carried off the field, and Smith drew a $500 fine and 30 day suspension. The Pirates won 7-4 at Forbes Field.
- 1948 - The Pirates spoiled Robin Roberts debut‚ beating the Phils' rookie 2-0 at Shibe Park behind Elmer Riddle’s five hitter. But Roberts was in the show to stay. He lasted 19 years, won 286 games and entered the Hall of Fame.
- 1961 - C Don Leppert made his MLB debut a memorable one with a HR in his first at bat off Curt Simmons in a 5-3 win over Cards at Forbes Field in the opener of a DH. The Bucs dropped the nightcap by a 7-3 count.
- 2005 - The Pirates whipped the Red Sox at Fenway Park by a 2-0 count, scoring single runs in the eighth and ninth on Humberto Cota and Ryan Doumit knocks. Three Bucco pitchers - Dave Williams, Rick White and Jose Mesa - combined on a six hitter to stop Boston.
- 2010 - The sad sack Pirates lost their 12th straight game by a 4-3 count to the almost equally inept Cleveland Indians at PNC Park. All the scoring happened in the seventh inning, with the Bucs scoring on a bases loaded double by Ryan Church and the Tribe answering. The Pirates came back to take the next two games from the Indians, followed by a six-game losing streak.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
6/18: KO, Riddle v Roberts, Leppert, Stop the Sox, the Beat Goes On...
KO, Riddle v Roberts, Leppert, stop the Sox, the beat goes on...