- 1927 - Paul Waner doubled twice in a 14-7 loss to the Cubs to extend his NL record streak (12 doubles‚ 4 triples‚ 4 homers) to 14 straight games with an extra base hit. The string ended the next day but has held up well, being tied only by Chipper Jones in 2006.
- 1939 - Arky Vaughan hit for his second career cycle, going 5-for-5 against the New York Giants at the Polo Grounds. He scored four runs and had 2 RBI in a 10-3 Pirate win.
- 1942 - Paul “Big Poison” Waner‚ now 39 and a Boston Brave‚ joined Cap Anson and Honus Wagner as the only NL players with 3‚000 hits with a fifth inning single to center off Rip Sewell, appropriately at Forbes Field. The game was stopped as the ball was presented to him, and both teams gathered round to offer their congratulations. Pittsburgh won the game in 11 innings, 7-6. Waner’s hit should have been 3,001. Two days earlier, he was given a hit on a ball that glanced off a glove; Waner had the scorer change it to an error so his 3,000th would be a clean knock.
- 1972 - Roberto Clemente’s two-run homer off Mike Strahler in the eighth inning of a 13-3 romp over the Dodgers at 3RS gave him the franchise lead in RBI with 1,274. He would finish his career with 1,305 runs batted in, third on the All-Time Pirate list.
- 1993 - GM Ted Simmons resigned after suffering a heart attack on June 8th. He was succeeded by Cam Bonifay.
- 2010 - 38,008 fans showed up at PNC Park for the 1960 World Series championship squad reunion. The old champs provided some inspiration for the new crew, who broke a 12-game losing streak by beating the Cleveland Indians 6-4. Lastings Milledge was a homer short of the cycle and had four RBI while Cutch had a pair of hits, drew three walks and scored four runs.
- 2010 - The Pirates fired racing pierogi Andrew Kurtz after he criticized John Russell and Neal Huntington’s secret contract extensions on his Facebook page. The 24-year old, who was reinstated by Pittsburgh after much media ado, was offered a position by the Washington Wild Things of the Frontier League to become one of its racing hot dogs.
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
6/19 - Waner (twice!), Vaughan, Clemente, Simmons, 1960 reunion, Pierogie Fried...
Waner (twice!), Vaughan, Clemente, Ted Simmons, 1960 reunion, Pierogie Fried...