- 1893 - Pittsburgh rallied past Cleveland 6-5 by scoring five in the bottom of the ninth at Exposition Park. The Spiders committed a pair of errors in the last frame, and Jake Beckley blasted a three-run triple to right for the walk-off win.
- 1922 - Carson Bigbee banged out five hits, including two doubles and a triple good for three RBI while Clyde Barnhart added four hits and four RBI, but it was for naught as Brooklyn won in ten innings 15-14. Hitting heroes Bigbee and Barnhart each booted a ball, along with Pie Traynor, in the extra frame to lose to the Robins at Ebbets Field.
- 1927 - The day after his extra-base hit streak ended at 14 games‚ Paul Waner's 23-game hitting streak was stopped by Dolph Luque during a 7-6 loss to the Reds in ten innings at Forbes Field. Big Poison did draw a walk, but went 0-for-3 against Cincinnati.
- 1971 - Bob Robertson set a MLB record for most assists in a nine inning game by a first baseman with eight in a 6-0 win over the Mets at TRS, helping Dock Ellis to an eight hit shutout. The extra-inning mark was also eight‚ set by the Buc’s Bob Skinner in 1954.
- 1981 - Happy birthday, Garrett Jones. The big guy was born this day in Harvey, Illinois. He’s been a Bucco middle-of-the order presence against RHP since 2009 after being signed as a minor league FA from the Minnesota Twins.
- 1989 - Doug Drabek and Greg Maddox hooked up in a classic pitching duel, though neither was around at the finish, as the Cubs beat the Bucs 1-0 at TRS. Maddox went 10 frames of six hit ball while Drabek went nine, giving up five knocks. Future Bucco skipper Lloyd McClendon’s sac fly off Doug Bair brought home Gary Varsho in the 11th for the game’s only tally.
- 1998 - Three Pirate relievers surrendered five runs to the Brew Crew in the final two frames, but the Bucs hung on to take an 8-7 win at County Stadium. The Pirate hero of the day was Jose Guillen, who smacked a grand slam in the third inning off Jeff Juden. Esteban Loaiza won his fifth in spite of his bullpen meltdown.
- 2003 - The Pirates edged the Indians‚ 7-6, for their second straight 15-inning victory over the Tribe, taking a 5-4 win the day before. It was the first time since 1996 that two teams had played consecutive 15 inning contests. The win was highlighted by a web gem grab by Brian Giles, stealing a two-run homer bid from Brandon Phillips in the eighth inning and as described by ESPN: “Giles pushed off the fence with his foot to elevate himself, stretched his glove over the 6-foot fence and pulled the ball back from the second row of the stands.” The yard was rockin’ as the crowd of 36,856 included many Cleveland fans and was the Pirates' first sellout of the season.
- 2005 - Matt Lawton drove in five runs and scored twice, banging a homer and double, to lead the Pirates to an 11-4 win over the Nationals at PNC Park. Lawton went 3-for-5 and Ollie Perez pitched six frames for the win.
- 2008 - In a pre-game ceremony at PNC Park, the Pirates officially presented the family of Roberto Clemente with his trophy earned after being named to Rawlings’ All-Time Gold Glove Team. The Bucs went on to defeat the Toronto Blue Jays 6-3 behind two run homers by Jay Bay, Raul Chavez and Jose Bautista in front of 27,014 fans.
Friday, June 21, 2013
6/21 - Busy Day In Bucco History
Busy day in Bucco history...