Gomez is 1-1 with a 1.64 ERA in two career starts against Seattle. He tossed five scoreless innings while taking a 4-1 decision from Aaron Harang earlier this season and had lost a 3-0 decision to Felix Hernandez while pitching for the Indians in 2010. The Pirates are 7-0 when he starts. King Felix already has a win against the Bucs, whipping AJ 2-1 earlier in the year at PNC Park. The game begins at 3:35 and will be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan. It's also the free MLB.TV game.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Russell Martin C, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones DH, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Neil Walker 2B, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Travis Snider RF and Jordy Mercer SS.
Mariner lineup: Endy Chavez RF, Nick Franklin 2B, Kyle Seager 3B, Kendrys Morales DH, Raul Ibanez LF, Justin Smoak 1B, Michael Saunders CF, Henry Blanco C and Brendan Ryan SS.
- The Bucs activated Jeanmar Gomez (good thing, since he's starting today) and optioned Duke Welker to Indy. At least Duke got a couple of outings this time around.
- The Bucs have won five straight games on one road trip for the first time since September 1st-6th, 2000.
- Yesterday marked the Pirates first five home run game since July 22nd, 2009, against the Brewers. It was also Starling Marte's first multi-homer outing. Both were on first pitches, so at least we know he comes up ready to hit.
- When Neil Walker batted eighth yesterday for the first time in his career, he completed the lineup card circuit, having hit out of every position from 1-9 as a Bucco.
- Jeff Locke has gone 13 straight starts allowing three earned runs or less. Elias Sports Bureau added that Locke is the first Pirate pitcher since Dock Ellis in 1971 to go undefeated in 15 straight starts in the same season.
- AJ is beginning baseball activities again; he threw a bullpen session yesterday. JT may be on the way back, too, maybe as soon as this weekend if all goes well.
- Indy's Andrew Lambo hit his fifth homer of the year with the Tribe and his 19th of the season, counting time at Altoona.