First pitch is at 7:10 and the game will be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Alex Presley RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones 1B, Russell Martin C, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Neil Walker 2B, Jordy Mercer SS and Francisco Liriano P.
Marte back, Jordy still starting, ditto for Presley.
Reds lineup: Shin-Soo Choo CF, Derrick Robinson LF, Joey Votto 1B, Brandon Phillips 2B, Jay Bruce RF,
Todd Frazier 3B, Zack Cozart SS, Devin Mesoraco C and Mike Leake P.
- The Reds are 24-12 at GABP, and overall have won five of their last seven contests.
- Jason Grilli (25-for-25) is one of two pitchers without a blown save this year, along with the Card's Edward Mujica (18-for-18), among closers who have worked in 15 or more save opportunities.
- This is Brandon Inge's first appearance at GABP; he's now played in 34 different MLB yards.
- Inge also appeared on ESPN Stats list of players who have made 20 or more Web Gem appearances in the past five years; he's the only Buc repped on the roster.
- He may or may not be the second coming, but Gerrit Cole is the first pitcher to ever to defeat two Cy Young winners (Tim Lincecum & Zack Greinke) in his first pair of MLB starts, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
- Howard Megdal from Sports on Earth writes about the Pirates, how they're better built to win now and whether the City is ready to go all in yet.
- James McDonald went five innings for Indy, giving up four runs (three earned), eight hits, walking three and K'ing one, throwing 93 pitches. We kinda sense his time as a Bucco is winding down; he's been fairly uninspiring with his rehab work and allowed guys to pass him by.
- Jameson Taillon was strong, going five innings and surrendering just an unearned run on six hits (all singles) while striking out six on 72 pitches as Altoona won 2-1. He was on a cautionary pitch count of 75, having missed a couple of starts with a stiff neck which is now fully functional.
- The short season Jamestown Jammers released their roster. It has a couple of prospects - Elvis Escobar, Harold Ramirez, Jin-De Jhang, Danny Collins, Dovydas Neverauskas and Cody Dickson - while Jared Lakind is being switched to the mound from first, and Luis Heredia remains in Pirate City, so maybe he's going full-season soon. Jamestown took over State College's spot in the PA-NY League this year, and there will be some roster alterations as draftees ink their deals.