- A sure sign of a successful summer: trade rumors. Jim Bowden of ESPNxm tweets that Paul Konerko should be the Bucs' main target. Campbell Sproul at Rumbunters suggests Alex Rios. David Manel of Bucs Dugout likes Chris Denorfia (and mentions some others in his post). David Schoenfield of The Sweet Spot started it all off with a pitch for Giancola Stanton.
- You can scrub Brewer P Yovani Gallardo from the Bucs wish list; Pittsburgh is one of ten teams on his no-trade list.
- Elias Sports Bureau rates Mark Melacon and Jeff Locke among the top ten impact pitchers in MLB with Jason Grilli #17 and Justin Wilson #38. Starling Marte is #24 and Cutch #43 in the hitter impact ratings.
- Jeff Sanders of Fangraphs thinks he's found the Pirate's kryptonite.
- Andrew Lambo is still swingin' - he went 3-for-3 at Indy with a double and 2 RBI. He's hitting .317 in AAA. Stolmy Pimentel wasn't that hot - 5 IP, 6 ER, 5 H, 4 BB, 5 K - as he keeps his Jekyl/Hyde persona goin'.
- Jameson Taillon's outing at Altoona - 7 IP, 2 ER, 7 H, 0 BB, 1 K. He struggled early, but finished strong.
- Top pick Austin Meadows is in town to sign his deal, with the bonus expected to be at or near the $3,029,600 slot value. He could be officially announced this afternoon, after his physical.
- Jim Callis of Baseball America tweeted that the Bucs signed their third round pick JaCoby Jones for $612K, exactly slot value. He was an infielder at LSU though Pittsburgh listed him as a CF, fitting for a player described as toolsy but quite raw.
- IF John McDonald was traded for the third time in the past few weeks, this time from the Indians to the Phils. He was 2-for-38 for the Pirates and Tribe.
Friday, June 28, 2013
Notebook: Trade Rumors, Meadows & Jones Sign, Prospects
A few odd and ends...