Teheran has pitched pretty true to his line, and has gone six frames in his last handful of starts while giving up three runs or fewer. He's faced the Bucs twice with no decision in either match. The game begins at 12:10 and will be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Travis Snider RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Garrett Jones 1B, Neil Walker 2B, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Russell Martin C, Clint Barmes SS and Wandy Rodriguez P.
Martin is behind the dish. There's no rest for the versatile, although The Fort also caught half a game last night, too, so it was a coin flip and tomorrow is an off day.
Braves lineup:Andrelton Simmons SS, Jason Heyward RF, Chris Johnson 3B, Freddie Freeman 1B, Evan
Gattis LF, Gerald Laird C, Dan Uggla 2B, BJ Upton CF and Julio Teheran P.
Gattis and Laird get their first series' starts against Pittsburgh.
- The Bucs are trying to avoid being swept for the first time since April 5th-7th at LA.
- The Braves are good in extra innings, with a 6-2 record this season. And they're quick, too - seven of the eight games were decided in the tenth inning.
- Even Russell Martin can't remember the last time he played the outfield. Baseball Reference says it was in 2003 in Class A; he recalls it as being Chipola JC in 2001. He joins Brandon Inge, who got his first taste of SS and 1B this season, and Jordy Mercer, who debuted at first Monday under the direction of on-field mixologist Clint Hurdle.
- Kind of an oddity is this era, but beginning today the Pirates are scheduled to play four straight day games, with three slated at Wrigley Field beginning Friday.
- Zach Duke was DFA'ed by Washington yesterday.