Gee is best described as crafty. He's another guy the Mets can't always count on to go too deep into games, as he's been pitching through come-and-go elbow tendinitis pain. But he has gotten into the seventh in his last two starts, averaging 102 pitches per contest.
The game begins at 1:35 and will be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Jordy Mercer 2B, Andrew McCutchen CF, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Jose Tabata RF, Garrett Jones 1B, Mike McKenry C, Clint Barmes SS and Gerrit Cole P.
Interesting that Clint Hurdle is using JT in the five hole to break up the lefties with Russell Martin getting a R$&R day. Mercer was moved to the two spot.
Met lineup: Eric Young LF, Daniel Murphy 2B, David Wright 3B, Marlon Byrd RF, Josh Satin 1B, Kirk Nieuwenhuis CF, John Buck C, Omar Quintanilla SS and Dillon Gee P.
Ike Davis is off, and Buck is catching after working last night.
- Cole is replacing Jeff Locke, who had tightness in his back. So the Bucs decided to skip his turn, and he's not due back on the hill until July 21st. That's expected to be plenty of time to clear up what the Pirates call a minor physical issue, knock on wood. Locke will get to take part in the All-Star pageantry except for the game itself.
- The Bucs enter today tied for first in the NL East with the Cards and five games ahead of the third place Reds.
- Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune Review reports that "Multiple sources said the Pirates are checking into White Sox outfielder Alex Rios and Cubs outfielder Nate Schierholtz."
- Jerry Crasnick of ESPN wrote "Competing MLB executives say the Pirates have expressed more interest in acquiring a left-handed-hitting outfielder than a righty bat, given the struggles of Travis Snider. Raul Ibanez and Norichika Aoki are among the names that have made the rounds in trade speculation...If the Pirates really are motivated to acquire a left-handed-hitting outfielder, they might have some common ground with the Cubs, who have two potentially available lefty bats: Nate Schierholtz and David DeJesus."
- Brandon Cumpton had a nice outing at Indy last night. He went six, giving up a run on five hits with two walks and four K.
- Today at Citi Field in New York, Pirates prospects Gregory Polanco and Dilson Herrera will participate in the All-Star Futures Game