- 1886 - The Pittsburgh Alleghenys swept a DH from the Baltimore Orioles 15-1 and 13-2 at Recreation Park, led by Fred Carroll, who banged an American Association record nine hits.
- 1948 - Ralph Kiner hit three HR with five RBI in the opener of a twinbill split against the Reds at Forbes Field, backing Vic Lombardi’s pitching in the 10-3 win. He was shut down in the second game, a 6-4 loss. 1953 - At Forbes Field, the Phils' Robin Roberts shut out the Pirates 2-0 in ten innings for his 28th consecutive complete game, outlasting Murry Dickson. It was also his 13th straight win over Pittsburgh going back to August 26th‚ 1950 (the string would reach 15). The Bucs did win the nitecap of the DH by a 7-4 tally.
- 1963 - Roberto Clemente, always touchy about guys throwing at him, clobbered a pitch that Met’s pitcher Tracy Stallard tossed under his chin with two strikes and two outs in the eighth inning and lined it into the upper deck to break a 1-1 tie and give the Bucs a 3-1 win at the Polo Grounds. Stallard told Maury Allen of the New York Post that "'I was trying to waste a pitch. I figured maybe I could get him to swing again at a pitch around his head.” He did. Don Cardwell got the win, with Alvin McBean picking up the save.
- 1966 - Woodie Fryman tossed his third straight shutout, a 6-0 win over the Cubs at Wrigley Field. The rookie lefty surrendered just seven hits in the three complete game victories.
- 1982 - Pittsburgh's first two hitters of the game, Omar Moreno and Johnny Ray‚ homered off Houston's Joe Niekro at TRS. But Niekro had the last laugh in a 6-4 Astro win.
- 1989 - Barry Bonds homered in Pittsburgh's 6-4 loss to the Giants at TRS‚ giving him and father Bobby the MLB father-and-son home run record with 408. The Bells (Gus and Buddy) and the Berras (Yogi and Dale) had shared the record of 407.
- 2000 - Wil Cordero drove in six runs with a pair of long balls to lead the Bucs to a 9-6 win against the Cubs at Wrigley Field. Aramis Ramirez also added a homer against Chicago.
- 2004 - Pittsburgh won its tenth straight game 3-1 over the Marlins at Pro Player Stadium as Kip Wells outdueled Josh Beckett. Wells gave up four hits and K’ed eight in a scoreless eight inning outing, and then had to sweat out a shaky Jose Silva save. Abraham Nunez homered in the win. The streak ended the next day at Florida, and was the highlight of an 89-loss season.
- 2005 - Kip Wells scattered four hits and punched out a dozen Phils in a 3-0 complete game victory at PNC Park. Jason Bay provided all the offense he needed with a two run blast in the fifth.
- 2007 - Adam LaRoche pounded a pair of homers and a double, driving in three runs and scoring three more as the Bucs dropped the Brewers 6-3 at PNC Park. Xavier Nady added three hits, including a homer of his own.
Friday, July 5, 2013
July 5 - Kiner, Clemente, Bonds and the Boys...
Fred Carroll, Ralph Kiner, Roberto Clemente, Woodie Fryman, Barry Bonds, Wil Cordero, Kip Wells and Adam LaRoche...