- 1906 - Leroy “Satchel” Paige was born in Mobile, Alabama. He pitched through the thirties for both the Homestead Grays and Pittsburgh Crawfords. At the age of 42 Paige become the oldest rookie in major league history when he joined the Cleveland Indians in 1948 and in 1971 became the first Negro League star inducted into the Hall Of Fame.
- 1922 - OF Max Carey earned his paycheck in an 18-inning, 9-8 loss to the Giants at Forbes Field. He had six hits, three walks, three stolen bases, including home, scored three times, drove home a pair of runs and caught seven flies. C Johnny Gooch was hot, too, going 6-for-8
- 1957 - "Robbing a Pirate: Willie Mays of the Giants, with his back to the diamond, takes Dick Rand's long drive on cinder path between bleachers in centerfield" read the caption of a famous picture shown by the NY Times of Mays’ great grab against the Bucco catcher. But the day belonged to Pittsburgh’s Frank Thomas, who hit three home runs as the Pirates took both ends of a twinbill, 10-6 and 8-1, at the Polo Grounds.
- 1959 - The All-Star Game became a double feature when a new, two-game format was adopted. The first game was played at Forbes Field, and the NL prevailed, 5-4. Smoky Burgess, Elroy Face, Dick Groat and Billy Maz repped the Buccos.
- 1970 - Roberto Clemente's blast to the roof of Connie Mack Stadium's double-decked left field seats was his fifth in five days, breaking a tie and leading the Bucs to a 4-2 win.
- 1972 - In the Pirates' 10-2 win over the Braves at Atlanta Stadium, C Milt May went 5-for-5 with two RBI and two runs scored. Gene Alley homered and had four RBI while Al Oliver, Gene Clines and Dave Cash added three knocks each to pace a 20 hit attack. May added two more hits in the nitecap of the twin bill, but the Pirates lost 3-2.
- 1992 - Andy Van Slyke became the first outfielder in nearly 18 years to record an unassisted double play in the Pirates' 5-3 win over the Astros at TRS. Van Slyke charged in from center field to catch a shallow fly ball and kept on trucking, doubling up Ken Caminiti. 1994 - C Don Slaught went 5-for-5 with two runs and a pair of doubles, but the Bucs lost to the Reds at Riverfront Stadium 8-7.
Sunday, July 7, 2013
July 7 - Satchel Paige, Roberto Clemente and more...
Satch, Max Carey, Frank Thomas, Pgh All-Star game, Roberto, 20 hits, AVS, Sluggo...