The 40 year old Colon, with 16 seasons in the show, is in his first AS game since 2005, when he won the Cy Young with the Angels. That's also the last year he had more wins (21) than his current 11. He just had his own eight game winning streak stopped last time out. It's an interesting matchup tonight, with the young gun and the wily vet storyline in full bloom.
And you might as well catch them now. Both are booked for Sunday starts after tonight, which takes them out of the running to toss any AS pitches.
The game starts at 7:05 and will be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Jose Tabata RF, Andrew McCutchen CF, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Russell Martin C, Garrett Jones 1B, Brandon Inge 2B, Clint Barmes SS and Jeff Locke P.
Walker is still out, leaving Inge at second and Barmes at short; we still don't quite get why Barmes and Jordy Mercer can't ply together. And Clint broke up Pedro and GI, moving El Toro to cleanup and Jones to the six hole with Martin between them.
Athletics lineup: Coco Crisp CF, Jed Lowrie SS, Josh Donaldson 3B, Yoenis Cespedes 7LF, Nate Freiman 1B, Chris Young RF, Derek Norris C, Grant Green 2B and Bartolo Colon P.
Pittsburgh has 53 wins, Oakland has 52. Let the games begin!
- The Athletics are 9-0 all-time against the Pirates, with the last series in 2010 at Oakland.
- Jeff Locke is the first pitcher in Pirates history to make16 consecutive starts in one season without suffering a loss. Dock Ellis held the previous mark of 15 straight in 1971.
- Pittsburgh hosts Oakland and the Mets prior to the All-Star break. Following it, the Bucs go to Cincinnati to start a 10-game road trip, also visiting Washington and Miami. Then it's back home to close out the month against the Cards.
- Stolmy Pimento had a rough night at Indy in a 9-7 loss. The RHP went six innings, giving up four runs on nine hits with a walk and four K. Brandon Cumpton is on the hill for the Tribe tonight.
- Indy reliever Vic Black is featured by MiLB.com.
- Jameson Taillon did better at Altoona, going seven innings and surrendering a pair of runs with five hits and six K in a 3-1 defeat.
- Baseball America released its updated Top Fifty Prospects list. RHP Jameson Taillon was #11, OF Gregory Polonco #13, and IF Alen Hansen at #39. RHP Tyler Glasnow made the Breakout List for guys just under the Top Fifty.
- Jim Callis of Baseball America tweeted that RHP Buddy Borden of Las Vegas has signed with the Bucs. His deal was for $180,400, exactly slot value for his seventh round position. Now the Pirates have inked all of their top ten draft picks.