Lefty Lannan allowed one run in seven innings to pick up the first win of his Phillies career Friday against the Dodgers, so he can still have his good days. His name drew the interest of the Pirate FO several times earlier in his career, so they liked him. The game starts at 7:05 and will be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Jordy Mercer SS, Andrew McCutchen CF, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Russell Martin C, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Jose Tabata RF, Neil Walker 2b and Jeff Locke P.
JT's back, Pedro is the only lefty, and how strong is the lineup when The Kid hits eighth?
Phil lineup: Michael Young 3B, Chase Utley 2B, Jimmy Rollins SS, Domonic Brown LF, Delmon Young RF, John Mayberry 1B, Ben Revere CF, Carlos Ruiz C and John Lannan P.
Mayberry replaces Howard at first against a lefty.
- As expected, Brandon Cumpton was sent down and JT recalled, giving the Bucs a full complement on the bench.
- The Pirate bullpen has tossed 24-1/3 consecutive scoreless innings.
- Paul Swydan of Fangraphs gives some props to Russell Martin.
- Since the Pirates signed Jason Grilli as a free agent on July 21, 2011, he has posted a 2.46 ERA in 128 IP with 30 saves and 186 strikeouts. Grilli’s 27 saves this season is a club record for most saves by the All-Star break.
- Pedro Alvarez was the first Bucco to hit 10 home runs in a month since Garrett Jones hit 10 in July of 2009.
- Dejan Kovacevic of the Trib writes "If It Ain't Broke...", an interesting take on the Bucco clubhouse view of deadline deals. Unlike last season, they're happy with what they have now, maybe after learning a few rough lessons over the past two deadlines about chemistry v BA/ERA.
- James Santelli of Pirates Prospects has a piece that covers about everything re: Pirate shifts, and how every year since it's they've implemented how it has improved the conversion of balls in play into outs.
- Maybe the Bucs were just the wake-up call that the Angels needed. Since getting swept by Pittsburgh, the Halos have won seven straight games.
- David Manel of Bucs Dugout reports that Phil Irwin had ulnar nerve transposition surgery on his right elbow at Allegheny General Hospital this morning. He is expected to be out for approximately two months. He adds that Kyle McPherson will * uh oh * see Dr. Andrews next week, and reports on the progress of the other DL'ed hurlers..
- The Pirates today announced that they signed Adam Frazier (6th-round, SS, Mississippi State University) and Andrew Dennis (37th-round, C, Wallace State Commmunity College) today.
- SS Josh Harrison, C Tony Sanchez, LHP Kris Johnson and RHP Vic Black have all been named to the 2013 International League All-Star Team. The four All-Stars are the most of any team in the IL and the most for the Tribe since 2005 (Zach Duke, Ian Snell, Nate McLouth & Mark Corey).