- The Pirates released RHP Jose Contreras, who had been pitching well at Indy. He was likely caught up in a numbers game and let go as a courtesy so he could find work with a organization that's thinner in bullpen options than Pittsburgh. They replaced him by activating LHP Atahualpa Severino, a 28 year old Dominican minor league vet.
- MLB Daily Dish posts that the Cubs are making last calls on Matt Garza offers; the Bucs are one of the clubs that are considered in the hunt, although Texas is thought to be the front runner.
- Jeff Passon of Yahoo Sports tweets the Bucs are also in on Houston's Bud Norris.
- Jon Heyman of CBS Sports says this about Justin Morneau rumors: The Pirates were mentioned, though he'd seem to be an imperfect fit. There's little evidence so far the Pirates are heavily involved to this point. That he's an expensive lefty rental player without a lot of power may be the reason why.
- Tom Singer of MLB.com features his best five in-season trades made by the Bucs.
- The International League All-Stars defeated the PCL's best 4-3 , with the big blow being Indy's Tony Sanchez's three-run homer to earn the Top Star (MVP) award. LHP Kris Johnson tossed a scoreless frame, and Vic Black got the first two outs of the ninth with a K while hitting 98 on the gun.
- Jared Hughes is continuing his rehab at Altoona. Last night, he went two innings for the Curve, giving up a hit and striking out four on 25 pitches.
- Bill Ballew of Minor League Baseball features RHP Tyler Glasnow of the WV Power in his article.
Thursday, July 18, 2013
Notes 2 - Contreras Released, More Trade Talk, Minors Report
Afternoon notes - Contreras Released, More Trade Talk, Minors Report