- 1907 - Howie Camnitz threw a five inning no-hitter with four walks against Mike Lynch and the New York Giants at the Polo Grounds. The game was the nitecap of a doubleheader, and after the first match went extra innings (the Pirates won 4-2 in 10 frames behind Sam Leever and Honus Wagner’s three hits), the teams agreed to a shortened second game. Pittsburgh won 1-0.
- 1910 - Despite manager and LF’er Fred "Cap" Clarke’s four assists from the outfield, the Bucs fell 6-2 to the Philadelphia Phillies at Forbes Field. Clarke’s four toss-outs - one at home, another at third, and two more at second - set an individual NL record. He also made a neat running catch in the eighth inning to take away extra bases from John Titus. Chief Wilson added another assist from RF, and the team total of five for a game tied a NL mark.
- 1959 - The Pirates swept a doubleheader from the Dodgers‚ beating Don Drysdale in both games. As a starter‚ Drysdale lost the opener 9-2, lasting 2-2/3 innings‚ then relieved in the nitecap, taking a 4-3 loss in the 10th. ElRoy Face won his 16th of the year without a loss in the second game, equaling Cal Hubbell's (1936) and Ewell Blackwell's (1947) record winning streaks.
- 1970 - Roberto Clemente had his second straight five-hit game against Los Angeles, the first major leaguer this century to collect 10 hits in consecutive games. Clemente banged a homer, double, three RBI and scored four runs in the 11-0 win at Dodger Stadium. Bill Mazeroski added four hits while Freddy Patek, Matty Alou and Manny Sanguillen each had three knocks. Steve Blass cruised to the victory, tossing a complete game four hitter with eight whiffs.
- 2001 - The Pirates defeated the Diamondbacks 5-1 despite a 16 strikeout performance by Randy Johnson, who became the first pitcher in history to fan 300 batters in four straight seasons. The big blows off the Big Unit were a two-run homer by Kevin Young and two-run pinch hit double by Keith Osik, both in the seventh.
Friday, August 23, 2013
8/23: Howie's No Hitter, Don't Run On Cap, Bucs Beat Drysdale twice & The Big Unit Once, Clemente Collects Hits...
Howie's No Hitter, Don't Run On Cap, Bucs Beat Drysdale Twice & The Big Unit Once, Clemente Collects Hits...