The game starts at 1:35 and will be broadcast on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
Pirate lineup: Starling Marte LF, Jordy Mercer 2B, Andrew McCutchen CF, Russell Martin C, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Jose Tabata RF, Clint Barmes SS and Charlie Morton P.
With a lefty on the hill, Clint Hurdle has opted to go with the Barmes-Mercer middle infield and dropped Pedro to fifth. We're a little surprised Russ didn't catch a day off, though Tony Sanchez did give him a blow in yesterdays' laugher.
D-Back lineup: Adam Eaton LF, Martin Prado 3B, Paul Goldschmidt 1B, Aaron Hill 2B, Gerardo Parra RF, A.J. Pollock CF, Didi Gregorius SS, Tuffy Gosewisch C and Wade Miley, P.
- With the Pirate bullpens' recent work overload, it's reported that LHP Kris Johnson has been called up from Indy. That's not been confirmed yet, nor who is being sent down, although Bryon Morris, who has thrown a lot of pitches lately, is the most likely suspect.
- Andrew McCutchen has10 multi-hit games in his last 14 outings, batting .469 (23 for 49) in that span.
- Today will mark Charlie Morton's 100th MLB start.
- Yesterday, Pedro Alvarez became the only third baseman in Pirates history to hit 30 home runs twice in a season. He joins Ralph Kiner, Willie Stargell, Brian Giles and Jason Bay as Bucs in the multi-30 homer club.
- Wayne Coffee of the NY Daily News has a piece on Pedro and his early years.
- Jeff Karstens and Jason Grilli are throwing off flat ground. Grilli could begin working off a mound by the end of next week if all goes well.
- LHP Mike Zagurski was signed by Oakland to a minor league deal.