Cashner has been strong; the last time out against Pittsburgh a month ago he dropped a 3-1 decision, but was nicked for a pair of unearned runs. He hasn't given up more than three earned runs in his last 10 starts, going 4-4 with a 2.78 ERA.
The game starts at 7:05 and be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
Pirate lineup: Jose Tabata LF, Neil Walker 2b, Andrew McCutchen CF, Justin Morneau 1b, Marlon Byrd RF, Pedro Alvarez 3b, Russell Martin C, Clint Barmes SS and A.J. Burnett P.
No Starlin Marte yet.
Padre lineup: Will Venable CF, Alexi Amarista RF, Jedd Gyorko 2b, Chase Headley 3b, Tommy Medica 1b, Kyle Blanks RF, Ronny Cedeno SS, Rene Rivera C and Andrew Cashner P.
Ronny Cedeno returns home.
- Marlon Byrd enters tonight's game with a seven game hitting streak.
- After dropping that sad series at St. Louis, the Bucs have won 6-of-7. They now have 48 home wins with seven more to go before a six-game, season ending road trip.
- They'll need that mojo workin' - The Padres have won 16 of 19 games against the Bucs at PNC Park since the 2007 season and just took a series from the Atlanta Braves.
- Pedro Alvarez leads the NL with 33 home runs, the most hit by a Pirate since Jason Bay smacked 35 in 2006. The club record for most home runs hit in one season by a third baseman is held by Aramis Ramirez, who hit 34 in 2001.
- Johnny Cueto is back for the Reds and starting today. That allows Cincinnati to line up the top of the rotation — Mat Latos, Homer Bailey and Bronson Arroyo - against Pittsburgh when they follow the Padres into town this weekend.
- Here's the Jolly Roger being raised on the Allegheny, arrrgh!