- 1866 - RHP Harry Staley was born in Jacksonville, Illinois. Staley pitched in Pittsburgh from 1888-91, tossing for the Alleghenys, Burghers and Pirates. His overall Steel City record was 51-58 with a 3.21 ERA.
- 1934 - Dizzy Dean‚ with a 30-7 record‚ was selected as the NL MVP, with the Pirates Paul Waner finishing a distant second despite a .362/14/90 slash.
- 1960 - The Deacon, Vern Law, who finished 20-9 with 18 complete games and a 3.08 ERA, was voted the Cy Young Award winner by easily outpolling Warren Spahn.
- 1971 - PA senators Hugh Scott and Richard Schweiker, winners of a bet made on the 1971 Fall Classic between them and Maryland senators Charles Mathias Jr. and J. Glenn Beall, Jr., rode elephants in front of the Capitol as the losers led the pachyderms while carrying shovels to clean the street.
- 2009 - The Pirates sent RHP Jesse Chavez to Tampa Bay for 2B Akinori Iwamura, who at $4.85M became the Pirates highest paid player. Iwamura was out of shape and benched in June with a .172 average. Aki was replaced rather handily by Neil Walker, released in mid-September, and after 10 games with Oakland, he was out of MLB.
Sunday, November 3, 2013
11/3: Deacon Wins Cy Young, more...
The Deacon wins the Cy Young Award, Harry Staley, Paul Waner, DC Shenanigans, Aki...