- Starling Marte made CBS's Dayn Perry's "All Black Friday (Bargain) Team." His salary was $500K last season, but he provided $23M in WAR value.
- Haven't heard much about RHP Ricky Nolasco being on the Bucco radar, and he's off it for sure now. He signed a four-year deal worth $49M with a club option with the Twins, a contract that's way out of the Pirates' comfort zone.
- With guys like Javier Lopez, Joe Smith and Manny Parra being signed to seven and eight figure, multi-year contracts in free agency, expect the Bucs to dangle at least one young arm from their bullpen as trade bait during the off season. With the FA market looking a bit overheated financially, the FO may opt to go the trade route to patch the Pirate roster holes, and the value of non-closing relievers is going through the roof.
- The Giants signed Indy reliever RHP Erik Cordier, 27, and added him to their 40-man roster. His line was 4-2-4/ 4.58 ERA in AAA, but he did crank out 11 K per nine innings, offset by nearly five walks. His numbers aren't there, but the career minor leaguer's fastball sits at 98.We wonder if the G-Men are hoping to slip him through waivers sometime during the off-season after the 40-man rosters fill or if they do think he deserves a MLB contract on velocity alone.
- Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that "The Rockies want (Justin) Morneau. He’s their primary target." He adds that rumored Pirate target James Loney is their fall back option.
Friday, November 29, 2013
Holiday notes and thoughts...