- Andrew McCutchen and Pedro Alvarez were named 2013 NL Silver Slugger Award winners, honoring the best offensive players at each position. Cutch won for the second straight season, while Alvarez was a first-time winner. The Silver Slugger, which was first awarded in 1980, is voted on by coaches and managers from both leagues.
- Chris Cotilla of The Daily Dish mentioned free agent SS Rafael Furcal and the Pirates in the same breath...
- JJ Cooper of Baseball America explains how Stolmy Pimentel is out of options at age 23.
- MLB.com's Philly beat writer Todd Zolecki posted that Pirate pitching coordinator Jim Benedict told Philadelphia he was going to remain with Pittsburgh. That's a plus for the Buccos; Benedict was said to have interviewed well and as Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects writes, has mentored his share of success stories for the organization.
- Pirate Fest will be held at the David Lawrence Convention Center on December 14-15th. The Caravan schedule will begin that week.
- Jack Moore from Sports on Earth posts that nothing illuminates the changing of the guard like Brad Ausmus taking over for Jimmy Leyland.
- Speaking of changing the guard, the Astrodome is about to join TRS in the scrap heap of history. Ted Berg of USA Today remembers some of its less known highlights.
Thursday, November 7, 2013
Silver Sluggers, Pirate Notes
And the beat goes on...