- The Bucs got RHP Duke Welker back from the Twins, sending LHP Kris Johnson to Minnesota. It suits both clubs needs; the Pirates wanted bullpen depth and the Twins more arms for their rotation.
- LA beat reporter Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com writes that the Pirates "really like (1B Mark) Trumbo." However, he suggests the Angels' asking price would be for an elite, controllable pitcher like Jameson Taillon.
- P Josh Johnson, high on the Bucco wish list, signed a one year, $8M deal with the Padres. The Pirates were reported to be on his short list, but he was looking for a Left Coast gig near his Las Vegas home.
- A couple of guys that may have been on the Pirate radar have signed deals with other teams. P Tim Hudson signed for the Giants for 2 years/$23M, and back up SS Brendan Ryan inked a one year, $2M contract with the Yankees.
- Peter Gammons, in his blog the Daily Gammons, likes OF Gregory Polanco as the top winter league prospect and sees him arriving in Pittsburgh by August.
- Vic Black, sent to NY for Marlon Byrd, was interviewed by Joe DeCaro of the Mets blog The Beanball. Among other tidbits, Black said he was "slightly heartbroken" when the trade went down, but was picked up by LaTroy Hawkins, who told the rookie that his arm was "magical."
- Pittsburgh released its 2014 spring training schedule.
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Trade, Hot Stove, Minor News...
In the news: