- Jayson Stark of ESPN tweeted "Clubs that have talked to Pirates believe James Loney is emerging as their top choice at 1B. Heard they've also asked on Adam Lind & Mitch Moreland."
- Nick Cafardi of the Boston Globe tweets that: "The Pirates view Mike Napoli as the perfect fit at first base but it doesn't appear they will lay out the cash needed to sign him." Most estimates have him looking for a minimum three-year, $45M deal, plus a first round draft pick since he refused the Red Sox tender offer.
- Another rumored Bucco first base target, Mark Trumbo, looks like he's staying put in LA. According to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, the Haloes want a young, elite arm, and there aren't any takers at that price.
- Matt Shetler of City of Champions makes a case for the Pirates to pursue Chase Headley.
- Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times posted an article on how much bench players contributed to their team's performance, and ranked the Buccos group at fourth in MLB.
- 1B Justin Morneau signed with the Rockies for two year/$13M, a pretty nice deal for a guy that produced a 1.1 WAR over the past two seasons.
- Some ol' Bucs got swapped for one another: The Blue Jays traded RHP Brad to the Phillies in return for C Erik Kratz and LHP Rob Rasmussen.
- Bucco for-a-cup-of-coffee Eric Hinske was named to be the first base coach of the Cubs.
Wednesday, December 4, 2013
More random stuff...