- Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports another potential 1B guy, Eric Chavez, is off the boards. He resigned with Arizona.He adds that Jeff Karstens is said to be pain-free and in midst of normal winter throwing program. planning to work out for clubs in January. As a final note, he says that Rick Van Den Hurk, who pitched for the Bucs in 2012, will stay in Korea, where he tossed last year.
- Ex-Bucco on the move: The Twins got LHP Sean Gilmartin from the Braves for C/OF Ryan Doumit. Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs thinks Dewey's days behind the dish are over, thanks to his ability to lose rather than frame strikes.
- The Miami Marlins signed 3B Casey McGehee, one of the original Zoltan gang, to a one-year contract after he hit 27 home runs in Japan last season.
- The Cubs signed LHP Jonathan Sanchez to a minor league deal.
- Ron Blum of the Associated Press has a piece on the official 2013 payrolls as calculated by MLB. The Bucs were 25th with a $74.6M bottom line, while the only two teams hit with the luxury tax were the Yankees and Dodgers.
- If you're a follower of 93.7 The Fan, they've shuffled their host lineup a bit.
Thursday, December 19, 2013