- Matt Sullivan of MLB Daily Dish thinks first base is between Ike Davis and Mitch Moreland. John Perrotto of the Beaver County Times hears that the Mets are holding out for a big young arm like Nick Kingham, trying to play Pittsburgh against the Brewers, also looking for a 1B. In that case, we'd expect the Bucs to look elsewhere. Gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. To aggravate matters, the Rangers keep saying that they plan to hold on to Moreland. Andrew Lambo at first, anyone?
- Brendan Panikkar of Baseball Hot Corner thinks the Bucs have just two must-do moves for the off season.
- Grant Brisbee of Baseball Nation wonders what Cutch would be worth on the market if he hadn't inked a deal with the Bucs and became a FA next year...and he's guessing 10 years/$240M.
- James Krug of isportsweb has the numbers on the Bucs...
- Jim Callis of MLB.com thinks the Bucco draft of 2013 was the best of the year. Baseball America agreed with him.
- Chad Dodson of The Hardball Times picks out the greatest swan songs (last regular season) in baseball by WAR; Roberto Clemente's 1972 season is one of them.
- The Pirates inked a handful of minor league free agents. Those with invites to camp are RHP Kyle McPherson, recovering from TJ surgery, along with 1B Travis Ishikawa (LH with a .260 lifetime MLB BA) and LH relievers Daniel Schlereth and Adam Wilk, both with MLB experience. They also signed LHP Brandon Mann and RHP Elvin Ramirez to minor league contracts. IF Michael Martinez was announced a couple of days ago and is now official.
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Tuesday Notes...Bucs Sign Ishikawa; What Would Cutch Be Worth As a 2015 FA?
Some Bucco bits & pieces...